Transportation Recreation Alternatives in Louisiana
TRAIL is dedicated to building and maintaining outdoor recreation opportunities and infrastructure in South Louisiana. We focus on enhancing parks, paths, and trails for hiking, walking, biking, kayaking, and canoeing. We strive to promote positive lifestyle options by coordinating a variety of events throughout the year. In appreciation of Louisiana's environment, we aim to make Acadiana a more desirable place to live, work, and visit.
TRAIL's primary mission is to build recreational facilities; from bike lanes to bike paths to paddle trails to trail heads to maps to resting benches. TRAIL primarily works along side government agencies, individuals, and other organizations to help build and/or maintain recreational facilities.
We feel that there is a tremendous opportunity to improve general and casual recreation in Louisiana. Louisiana has the benefit of weather that permits easy year-round running, hiking, and biking activities. However, we feel there needs to be more definable access to enjoy the beautiful outdoor activities Louisiana has to offer.
- TRAIL purchased property to add to Acadiana Park & Nature Station then cut the longest nature trail South of Chicot State Park.
- In a partnership with the Rotary Club of Lafayette North we installed 4 bike racks-bench-kiosk structures in Lafayette.
- In a partnership with BikeLafayette we ran cycling safety advertisements on Google.com
- We worked with the TECHE Project, St. Martin Tourism, and the Acadiana Area MPO to win a grant to fund a trail head in Parc Pont Breaux on the Bayou Teche that includes shower facilities.
- TRAIL has been a party to 4 grants helping fund the initial stages of the Atakapa-Ishak Trail (Parc Sans Souci to Beaver Park).
- TRAIL donated $15,000 to the Lafayette Central Park (the Horse Farm) in 2015.